Saturday, March 13, 2010

Final Farewell

I guess Tyler knew but neglected to tell me, but Rubi showed up on our doorstep again last evening. I was in the middle of putting on a vegetable curry with coconut milk. As a native of India, she claims that only people from a certain region or state of India put coconut milk in their curries. She referred to them as "demons." I LOVE coconut milk, and out of courtesy, waited for her to leave before making a proper curry. (Everyone knows you can't make a curry without coconut milk!)

In any case, there she was in our kitchen. She returned my scissors and calculator that I had chalked up as gone forever. She acted as if nothing had happened, so I felt obligated to invite her to stay for dinner.

"Let's have some tea," she said, "Where's Tyler?"

Thankfully Tyler came downstairs and talked film shop with her while I got my curry on. Then she starting rambling about Raj again. No surprise. She stayed for about an hour and then said she was meeting some friends for dinner. It's odd that she claims to have all of these friends yet she had been staying at the Days Inn since she left the house. Curious, indeed.

When she got up to go I gave her a hug and wished her a safe journey.

"I hope you guys will still come visit me in India. And you have to come to my wedding!"

I've heard this one before. She seems to have a habit of making wedding plans before there has been a proposal.

"Please come! You can stay as long as you like."

Was that a dig?

"And when I come back in six months..." she continued, "I hope that you are both out of this house and living with your new boyfriends or husbands!"

"Yes," I said, "because that is our only purpose in life..."

Some things will never change.

Her last words? "I'll be back!"

I closed the door and turned to Tyler, who said, "She went out just as she came in!"

Yes, I thought, and I'm so glad it's over...

I think this story is closed. At least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment