Monday, October 19, 2009

Taste the Rainbow - and the Love!

Tonight I was skulking around the house, feeling a little blue and avoiding my homework when I heard the backdoor open. It was a chipper Mariana that passed me on the stairway.

“Hi, Marissa!” She chirped.

“Hey…”

I should say that during a wine soaked moment a few weeks ago I apologized to her for ripping her a new asshole, which she accepted graciously. I have been known to get ridiculously nice, or alternatively, viciously mean when I’ve been drinking. In this case, I guess it was best that it was the former, considering we share a roof and all.

I went to the kitchen to make myself some tea. If I learned one thing during my stay in Britain, it is that tea can cure just about anything – maybe even my melancholy mood.

Without warning Mariana appeared behind me with something in her hand. As she started to hand it to me she said, “Thank you so much for helping me with Calcifer. I really appreciate it.” Calcifer is her cat and she handed me a card and a bag of Skittles (my favorite sugary snack).

“Aw, thanks. I LOVE Skittles, and I need the sugar rush tonight to get through my homework!”

I was already touched by her gesture, but when I returned to my room and opened the card my heart went all mushy.

Thank you so much for helping me take care of Calcifer during my transition. You are a truly decent kind soul, and a generous person. Thank you. Mariana & Calcifer.

It’s nice to know that no matter how ugly things get between people, the good stuff at the core is still there, and forgiveness is always possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment