Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fairy God Mother

Tamiko, my Japanese roommate, is 100% confused by all of this “be a queen” business.

“What’s that mean?”

I could see the language barriers going up, and she was asking me, an American, to translate the ramblings of an Indian in a way that her Japanese brain could understand. That would, of course, require that it actually make sense to me.

“She says I should act like a queen. Like, does she mean like the movie. Did you see the movie the Queen?”

I couldn’t help but laugh at that one. I’m still not sure if she meant to be funny.

“I don’t know,” I said. “All I know is that you have to put down your sword.”

“Sword??”

We both laughed.

“You know she told me the other night that she was put in the house to help us all sort out our problems and reach our potential.”

“What??” Tamiko screeched in disbelief.

“Um, yea. So, I said to her, you are like our fairy God mother then? And she said we could call it that if we wanted to.”

You never know what gems you will find on Craigslist.

No comments:

Post a Comment