Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Other Side of Things

I find myself at home on a Saturday night sorting my sock drawer, no doubt for the lack of a man in my life. Slumdog is upstairs doing God only knows what and a scary thought just came to mind. What if she has a blog about me? Now that'd be entertainment! Everyone knows there are two sides to every story (of course only mine is accurate). But alas, that would require that she have a brain - and since she argued with me that Sanskrit is not actually a language, I'd have to say she is lacking in that department. Much like Latin, it may not be widely used, but it is most definitely a language, and not just any language, a mother language. I think her argument went something like this:

"Sanskrit is not actually a language on it's own. It can be spoken in any language."

"You mean a transliteration of Sanskrit can be spoken in any language," I said, trying to throw her a rope.

"No, it's not a language."

"Well, what are those squiggly symbols I can't read then?"

"Oh, that's Hindi."

If I am not mistaken, Hindi evolved from Sanskrit just as the Spanish language, among others, evolved from Latin. But Slumdog knows all...

1 comment: