Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tea for Three

Mariana and Rubi have been having ritual tea parties in the breakfast nook for two weeks now. I only began getting invitations a few days ago when the cold war between us ended. Last evening the two peas in a pod returned home from a full day at the Korean spa and Rubi immediately started to set the table for tea. She once again offered a spot at the table, and for the first time, I accepted.

Rubi was actually fairly normal, except for the usual overuse of the word “dude” and “man” which is always so attractive on a woman in her late thirties. I had to fish a little bit, but I got her to talk a little bit about Hinduism. I pulled out my copy of the Bhagavad Gita to impress her. These are actually the types of conversations I had hoped to have when I carefully handpicked her from the pool of roommate candidates.

She said that the temples in India have erotica painted on the outside of them to represent all of the worldly pleasures we are meant to experience before we can move forward in our evolution. Hoorah! I wondered if I had fulfilled my requirements yet. Surely not.

Mariana sat slouched in her chair, mouth gaping, eyes drooping, as if she had smoked a bowl (and probably did) before sitting down to tea time. She only gave the occasional “huh,” or “yea,” in agreement. Maybe my presence at the table was detracting from their vibe together. Normally, when they are having tea I can hear Mariana boisterously cackling at everything that rolls out of Rubi's mouth. I wonder if Rubi knows that Mariana is bisexual…

1 comment: