Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sad Goodbye

Yesterday was an incredibly sad day in the house. We had to rush Tamiko's elderly cat to the pet hospital. He was almost totally non-responsive, just lying limp in my arms while Tamiko drove us as fast as she could on the freeway with alligator tears streaming down her face. I couldn't hold back my tears either with such a helpless creature nearing its death. I prayed for mercy and repeatedly chanted Loka Samasta Sukino Bhavantu softly over him - the mantra for eternal peace and happiness for all beings.

He died shortly after we arrived at the hospital from acute kidney failure. Tamiko was hysterical. My heart was so heavy as I watched her sob over his body. I wished there was something I could do, but all I could do was stay with her.

On the drive home she insisted that we go visit my horse.

"I know you were going to see her today, but you came with me instead. We'll go see her."

"OK," I said, "maybe we could stop for some carrots?"

"Yea," she said, "I don't want to go home right now."

I couldn't blame her for that. We spent about an hour with the horses. Just being in the company of horses can take the mind off the worst of problems for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment